Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Boss...

Tomorrow will be my last day in The Boss team (http://marinaseye.blogspot.com/2005/12/frozen-albino.html). I think i have braved the last 4 months with her rather victoriously.
Of course there were a few screw-ups here and there. But none major ones and they are all part and parcel of the process of learning.

I know some people will call me crazy, especially those who have worked with her and been in her team, but I do gonna miss her.

Despite all her viciousness and intimidating stares, I know deep down, she is a caring person. Though she tries very much not to show it. Hey, she loves cats like me!! And people who love animals are a gentle, loving bunch.

I guess our love for cats gave us something in common. Other than the fact that she is still single of course. So we exchange cat stories, healthcare tips etc. I even showed her the pictures of my cats on my handphone.

That sort of broke the barrier between a student and a teacher. She could be angry and shouted at the top of her voice at a junior doctor, yet could laugh with me at the next moment. Sometimes, that does create some jealousy among the other trainees.

My juniors all cowered behind me when they knew she was in a bad mood. Whenever they were in a tight spot, or a mistake have been made, they make sure I was around to cool things down.

I may not agree to some of her medical management as she is a tad bit conservative. But I respect her sharpness, her vast 20 years experience and her never ending quest for knowledge. Whenever she is in one of her best moods, she can be an excellent teacher.

I think she does trust me in some ways, without even me realising it. She let me do a lot of procedures and gave me the more difficult cases to handle. And I notice, she does pamper me a bit compared to other trainees. Maybe she has a soft spot for me.

I first got to know her in my fourth year medical undergraduate. Fate has it that 6 years later, I encountered her again. She has mellowed down over the years. Yet, she is still feared even by the heads of other departments.

To be able to talk about anything under the sun, laugh at silly stuffs, discuss serious medical problems with her, make me proud to have sailed an accumulated 13 months with her.

She will surely be missed, when I leave this institution.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brought to you exclusively by Marina`s Eye. Copyrights reserved.